23 March 2011

WOMAD 2011 Festival, New Plymouth










WOMAD 2011 NZ Festival
New Plymouth, 18-20 March 2011

A first time vist to WOMAD is kind of like seeing the Pyramids of Giza or Michelangelo's statue of David for the first time: while you know exactly what to expect, it still has the capacity to surprise and amaze. Yes, I admit this was the very first WOMAD I'd attended - and I'd go again in a heartbeat. I absolutely, thoroughly loved it. The music, the people, the weather, the vibe, the food, the arts, the flags, the attitudes, the ease with which we moved about - it all added up to a wonderful experience. Musical highlights included Sudanese group Rango; Chinese-Mongolians Hanggai; the raw, ribald Calypso Rose; the high-energy Colombians Sidestepper; British DJ legend Don Letts; the incredible Horace Andy... well, I could go on for quite some time, to be honest. In a nutshell, this would have to be the best music festival I've ever attended, hands down. Go.

This is Calypso Rose. Do yourself a favour and find a live performance of hers on the interwebs. She's brilliant. And rude as hell!

No comments:

Post a Comment