26 September 2011

Review: Gilles Peterson 'Masterpiece'













Various Artists
MASTERPIECE
Compiled by GILLES PETERSON
[Ministry Of Sound]

Sometimes I wonder if I'm getting old. Listening to compilations like these, which blend together rare gems and classic old tracks with fresh new and cutting edge compositions only serve to make me feel older. Almost to a track, I prefer the classics; the Roy Ayers, Terry Callier and Freeez side of the selection, to the of-the-moment clattertronica of Kode9 and Spaceape. As it stands, you can rely on Gilles Peterson to please pretty much all of the people all of the time, and he has done exactly that once again on this Masterpiece collection, put together for Ministry Of Sound. With 49 tracks spread across three CDs, and tracks including SBTRKT, Four Tet and Scuba for the young bucks and Tom Browne, Young Disciples and Teena Marie for us older folks, there are plenty of reasons to add yet another Gilles Peterson-selected compilation to your collection. Essential, as usual.

4 from 5 stars

More Gilles Peterson reviews:
Gilles Peterson Presents Worldwide
Gilles Peterson In Brazil & Africa

1 comment:

  1. A very nice compilation from Gilles. I am with you 90 I prefer the older tunes but that is understandable as I am EVEN older than you !!

    So old infact that I have most of the origionals in my collection. Still it is good to see Gilles continuing to get the music out there.

    I'm looking forward to his new 3 hour show on BBC Radio 6

    All the best

    Robbo

    ReplyDelete